This Mandela Month, 10 Emerging Artists from different artistic genres, emerge and allow us to see their work in our online series titled “Aluta Continua”. Each episode presenting a different theme in relation to the title. This Mandela Month explores artistic expressions of conflicting views.
“Aluta Continua” – The struggle continues.
27 years of independence and we may not be there yet, or are we? The titles, ‘Undiscovered Revolutionaries’ |‘The beautiful Ones are not yet born’| ‘Curious Continent Concepts’ | ‘I am not a Rock and We are the ones we have been waiting for’, all speak to differing movements pulling our society into different directions. Artists are challenged to voice their perceptions of the themes and express, as creators and makers, how their work brings these ideas to life. In Mandela Month, a month of recognition now mutating to have different meanings for segmented parts of society, we analyse the differing voices and conversations that this time of the year brings to light.
SERIES TITLE: “ALUTA CONTINUA”
EPISODE 1 – 8th JULY – UNDISCOVERED REVOLUTIONARIES
People from all walks of life who have contributed to the betterment of human life in their own way that have gone unrecognised.
EPISODE 2 – 15th JULY – THE BEAUTIFUL ONES ARE NOT YET BORN
The Idea that we are far from achieving true freedom in the way we have envisioned it. And that the ones who will be able to create and live in the envisioned Utopia cannot be raised by us.
EPISODE 3 – 22nd JULY – CURIOUS CONTINENT CONCEPTS
What perceptions do we have about each other in the continent? Where are we heading as an African people? What are we curious about, about the rest of Africa.
EPISODE 4 – 29th JULY – I’M NOT A ROCK
The phrase – You strike a woman, you strike a rock has had positive and negative implications. Is it the contributing factor to the raging violence against women?
EPISODE 5 – 5th AUGUST – WE ARE THE ONES WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR
In concluding our series we shed light on the current movements leading change in our country. The understanding that we may not be in our utopia, but we the only ones who can drive ourselves there.
- The finalists will be selected by a panel.
- PLEASE SEE NEW CLOSING DATES FOR SUBMISSION
- Episode 1 – closing date 2nd of July
- Episode 2 & 3 – closing date 9th of July
- Episode 4 & 5 – closing date the 16th of July
- Must have a SA tax number.
- Artists are only allowed to submit once.
- Choose a topic from the above mentioned.
- Using the chosen topic, submit a video as an audition, no longer than 2 minutes (Visual artists must use time lapse)
- Submit video using we transfer link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Must submit and present clear audible, well-lit visual.
- For any questions, please email us on email@example.com.
- Emerging artists
- Can be self-taught
- Can be a graduate
- No more than 3 years of experience
- Artists should be solo performance, no group performances.
- Only selected finalists will be contacted by the 2nd of July
- You will be required to forward your bio and picture for profiling.
- Prepare a live presentation using your chosen topic.
- Presentations must not be longer than 10 minutes, no shorter than 5 minutes.
- Must have a stable internet connection
Artistic Disciplines (Live Presentation)
- Music– all music genres are allowed
- Poets– no more than 3 poems not longer than 2 mins each or no less than 2 poems 3.5 mins each
- Visuals artists– must present a time lapse video of work with accompanying soundtrack no longer than 5 mins of 2 different art pieces, 2.5 mins each. (See links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQiozC_QzjY Video by Darie Callie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ludM-0QgTWQ Video by Lena Danya
- Dance- Dance piece
- Drama– Monologue