JOB ADVERTISEMENT INTERNAL & EXTERNAL STAGE MANAGER
REF: 2022 / 03/ 09
About the Role
About the Role
The Stage Manager is responsible for all stage duties relative to the production from the beginning of the rehearsal period to the live stage.
- Prepare prop, furniture, and costume lists in consultation with both director and designers and ensure that suitable substitutes are available from the beginning of the rehearsal period
- Prepare the rehearsal and ensure that the rehearsal space is correctly marked out in conjunction with the designer.
- Draw up a rehearsal schedule in consultation with the director and ensure that the details (and appropriate updates) are communicated to all members of cast and company on an ongoing basis.
- Draw up and distribute a contact list for everyone involved with the production
- In conjunction with the FOH/Maintenance Division ensure that the rehearsal space is always kept clean and tidy
- Prepare a properly annotated prompt book through the rehearsal period. The prompt book must have all moves, unscripted pauses and technical cues clearly marked up
- Maintain on-going liaison between the directors and designers and production manager as well as between cast and management/publicity in absence of a company manager
- Provide support to the Senior Stage Manager to assist the Production department with sourcing of props, furniture and costumes as needed
- Ensure that he/she is familiar with all lighting/sound equipment that he/she will be required to operate once in the theatre and arrange training with the senior stage manager in advance if needed
- Assist the Senior Stage Manager to supervise the move-in to the theatre in collaboration with the Head of Technical and Stage Services and take responsibility for the venue keys, the opening/locking of the venue and the security of any tools used in the venue during the set-up and for the duration of the run
- Allocation of dressing rooms and ensure that they are clean and usable before the first call
- Assist at the plotting session by taking notes and notating cues and arranging a “walker” if required by the lighting designer
- Ensure that all technical and dress rehearsals are started promptly, and that the director is kept aware of break and finish times
- Ensure that all technical notes from the director and designers are communicated to the Senior Stage Manager and dealt with as expediently as possible
- Ensure that the stage and backstage areas are properly cleaned prior to the final dress rehearsal and kept that way for the entire run of the production
- Assume responsibility for the running of the production, ongoing maintenance, and the acquisition of the running props as necessary
- Ensure that all calls are given timorously, and that cast is informed of correct performance times well in advance
- Ensure that costumes are delivered to and collected from the wardrobe and that they are laundered /dry cleaned as appropriate
- Communicate any problems in respect of either show or venue to the appropriate day staff through the performance report and escalate to the Senior Stage Manager
- Ensure that all borrowed/hired props, furniture, and equipment are returned in good order at the end of the production run
- When not engaged on a production, assist the technical unit in terms of pre-production for other shows and the general maintenance/organisation of the technical unit as determined by the Senior Stage manager. This may include driving company vehicles provided you hold a driver’s license
- In the absence of the Senior Stage manager would act as his/her deputy.
Desired Experience &
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Matric/Diploma/Tertiary SM or Theatre related Qualifications
- 5 years’ experience in Stage Management
- Strict adherence to deadlines
- Good planning and organisation skills
- Ability to manage and motivate a team of people in a very stressful environment
- Handle conflict situations
- Manage all the stakeholders for the production
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Driver’s licence added advantage
- Must be able to work on weekends
- Work across a diverse workforce and manage cultural barriers
Interested persons who meet the requirements are invited to send a concise CV to the Human Resources Department via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the reference number of the post. ITC & criminal checks will be conducted and where applicable, candidates will be subjected to an assessment test.
Should you not hear from us within 30 days after the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful. Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only.
The Market Theatre Foundation reserves the right not to make any appointment(s) to the above post.
Enquiries may be directed to Phanuel Pooe @ (011) 832 1641
THE CLOSING DATE FOR THIS POSITION: 25 March 2022