CALL FOR APPLICATIONS!!
Barney Simon Residency Project at the Market Theatre Laboratory
With the support of the Barney Simon Trust, the Market Theatre Laboratory offers one residency a year to provide a space for theatre-makers to develop a new work, investigate artistic process, and take creative risks.
The artist will receive a grant of R90 000 to subsidise their project costs, including their creative team, cast, archiving and materials. In addition, the residency project will be given 8 weeks of studio space, access to the Ramolao Makhene Theatre for one week to present the outcomes of the residency (with a technician), access to the internet and some IT resources, and printing.
The resident artist will be asked to engage with the students at The Market Lab through masterclasses, seminars and ‘sharings’ of the creative process. This residency is open to practitioners of any level of experience, but you must be a practising theatre-maker.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Brief history of you or your company
- A concept note (What is your idea?)
- Motivation (Why does your idea/process require the support of The Market Theatre Laboratory?)
- How does this idea sit within your overall body of work?
- Links to support material (videos, sound files, photos, etc.)
- A budget (Cost breakdown of how you intend to use the grant)
NB: Please keep your application to a maximum of 3 pages.
A panel will be appointed for the selection process. The residency will take place at the Market Theatre Laboratory from January – February 2023.
Applications are due 31 October 2023, and should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org