DITSHOMO SCHOOLS OUTREACH PROGRAM
Outline of the programme:
The Ditshomo Mentorship Programme: Schools Outreach Programme (SOP) will involve the Market Theatre interacting with Grade 11 & 12 learners from selected schools in greater Johannesburg area to educate them about the social relevance of the performing arts and what it means to work in theatre. The program’s objective is to introduce the learners to the career possibilities offered by the performing arts while simultaneously sharing the skill of making theatre. An added benefit of the programme is to grow an understanding of each other beyond their own school, while working collaboratively side-by-side. This will be achieved by the 60 selected learners attending a series of workshops on various theatre disciplines, i.e. Writing, Directing, Lighting, Set, Sound and AV Design. Leading theatre professionals from across the various disciplines will work with the learners for the duration of the program.
To apply please go to the Button Below: Applications close on Monday 15th May at 23:59
- It is compulsory for all accepted learners to sign indemnity forms, which will also be endorsed by the school representative and a parent/guardian.
- For ease of communication and safety, two WhatsApp groups will be setup as follows:
- Group 1: learners/office/facilitators
- Group 2: Teachers/parents/guardians/office
- Classes are scheduled from the 27 May to 08 October, it is compulsory for learners to attend all classes.
- Classes will run on Saturdays from 10am to 4pm with a lunch hour scheduled.
- Learners will watch at-least one theatre production at The Market Theatre as part of the programme.
- A technical week will be scheduled from 02 – 06 October 2023. Each learner will be needed for the technical rehearsal for approximately 4 hours.
- The final presentations, that are open to family and friends, will be scheduled for Sunday 8 October 2023. Here the learners will be needed the full day.
- A dedicated service provider will be appointed for home pick-ups and drop-offs for learners who require transport. Learners home addresses will be required for arrangements. Details of the transport service provider will be shared with the school representative and parents.
- Learners who require transport will be required to sign a Transport Register each time they attend workshops. They will sign whenever they travel for pick-ups and drop-offs.
- Pick-ups on Saturdays will start from 7am.
- Drop-offs will vary depending on the distance needed to travel. All learners will be collected at the theatre complex to be returned to their respective homes. Where there are major delays, parents will be informed.
- Dietary requirements will be obtained so that learners can be provided catering for breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack.
* This programme is made possible through generous funding from the Eyesizwe Mining Development Foundation.